Thursday, November 29, 2012

Winnipeg--walking the ground for "Soldier of the Horse"



Robert Mackay in jail; photo by Bill Mackay
An early scene in “Soldier of the Horse” involves the protagonist, Tom Macrae, getting thrown into the local gaol. In reality, my father (alter ego of Macrae) never told me he actually saw the inside of a cell, and it probably didn’t happen. Even so, I got a big kick out of finding a salvaged jail cell in a Winnipeg museum.
Did Tom Mackay ever scratch his name onto the wall of the steel-clad cell? Not that I could see!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I would love to hear more about your father's life.

Robert Mackay said...

Hi Lisa
Not sure if you have read "Soldier of the Horse"? It talks about his WW I years. As you may know I will be signing books on April 20th, 2 pm, at McNally Robinson's; if you have a chance, do drop around.

Post a Comment