Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Halifax and Stadacona Part 2 of 2--Admiralty House



This handsome stone building is in Stadacona. It was built in 1815, and for years was the residence of Royal Navy admirals in Halifax. Now it houses the Naval Museum of Halifax.

It was for the latter reason that I visited it a month ago, looking for submarine exhibits and also, if I was lucky, hoping to find evidence of my brother Tom's time in the RCN.



In the course of exploring the museum, I glanced into a glass display case--and saw the photo at left. I was thrilled.
The picture was taken on board HMCS St. Laurent, of which Tom was then first lieutenant. He is front row, second from left, on the captain's right.

3 comments:

Lamont said...

Very exciting, Robert. Can't wait to hear more.

The Cooking Ladies said...

What a special moment to find that photo. ~Phyllis

Robert Mackay said...

Yes, I was very excited. I am hoping to get more info and photos from the museum in due course. They are very short staffed.

Post a Comment